Monday, September 25, 2006

Chapter Six, Untitled

CHAPTER SIX

When Grant threw the door open, I jumped up and went over to him. He was standing there, when I wrapped my arms around him and started kissing him passionately. He stopped me, then closed the door.

We went over to the couch, where we were kissing and I stopped him, then took him by the hand over to the kitchen.
"An idea popped into my head this morning. I couldn't wait to try it out on you, as soon as you got here."
I let go of his hand and opened his shirt. He was wearing an undershirt and I took both off him, then turned away from him.
He undid the rest, while I opened the freezer and took out the tray of ice cubes. I slightly twisted the tray, until a few ice cubes were loose. I took one out, then leaned against the refrigerator. He was watching me, when I slightly sucked on the cube, until it started to melt.
I took it out, then ran the ice cube over his shoulders, while kissing his mouth and neck. I turned him around and was kissing his shoulders and ran the ice cube slowly down his stomache and was about to slide it down over his belly button, before he quickly stopped me.
I was still holding onto the ice cube, when he took it out of my hand. He tossed it in the sink, then took hold of my hand and dragged me back to the couch. He dressed himself, then took me by the hand and led me to the door.

Grant and I were sitting in a car afterwards. He parked it in front of the all night grocery store. I got out of the car and, looked at him, as we got out of his car.
"What are we doing here?"
"How did we meet?"
Pause.
"Oh."
"It was this day, five years ago, when we met. Then, a few nights later, we met again," he said.
Pause.
"At some friend of a friend's party."
"Yes."
We walked over to the front of the store, took a cart and walked in.

We met when I was twenty and he was twenty-four. I was visiting a friend and staying at her place. The both of us couldn't sleep and I felt like going to the grocery store nearby. I wanted some sourdough bread. I was standing in line, when Grant came into the same line. He set the separator down, then set the pepperoni package and shredded cheese down 0n the conveyor belt. He saw what I was purchasing, then looked at me.
We made a little eye contact, but I turned away and stood with my back to him.

It was my last night in town, when my friend dragged me to some couple's home.
My friend was close with the wife of the couple. We walked into the hallway with her, after arriving a little late and were ushered into he dining room. Six other people were already there. I looked over the other faces and stopped when I vaguely recognised Grant among them.

We didn't get a chance to talk, until after dinner. The wife introduced us to each other. I was forced to relax, when she left us alone together. He was, also, dragged along by a friend, because his friend was trying to make him forget about recently breaking up with his girlfriend. I, at that time, hadn't been involved for some time.
Grant and I spent a few hours talking about things. We had a lot of minor differences between us, but, after a while of a talking, we were very attracted to each other. I gave him my number and that was the beginning of it all.
Grant and I had been through so much and I was willing to give it all up. because it wasn't enough anymore. I was unfaithful for a reason. Picking one was the hard part. I mostly stuck with him, because breaking up would be a waste of all that effort put into the five years of togetherness we've shared. I thought I was enmeshed with him, but realized that wasn't the case. Soon, it will be over between us and we can both go on to others.

Grant left the next day and I was anxious to see Clark. I stood at the doorway, as Grant left. I was wearing a bedsheet, as he disappeared down the stairs.
Not long after, Clark came up the stairs. He saw me and waved hello. He came over, looked me over, not so subtly, then kissed me.
"I've got to tell you something," I said.
He looked at me.
"I've changed my mind. Help me end it between Grant and I, now," I added.
He moved closer and hugged me tightly.
"Those are the most beautiful words you ever said to me," he said.
I looked at him.
"Tonight, meet me at the studio," I said, trying to hold back my laughing.
He nodded.
"But, first, we've got business to attend to," he said.
He took me into the living room and closed the door.

After work, I went straight to the studio. As soon as he opened the door, he wrapped his arms around me. He took me inside, then closed the door behind us. We were kissing and undressing along the way to the couch.

We hadn't been kissing long, when he slid off his wedding band and flinged it on the ground.
The phone started ringing.
Clark looked at the phone and was staring at it, before he leaned over and picked it up.
"Hello?"
Pause.
"Hey, Clark. Is Olivia there?"
He looked at me.
"No."
Pause.
"Do you know where she could have gone?"
He sat up and had the phone to his ear.
"I don't know."
He looked away from me and looked out the window. I watched, as he scanned out the window. He was looking at something, when the phone dropped out of his hand.
I was curious what he was looking at and sat up.
Grant was leaning against his car, with the cellular next to his ear. I saw his mouth move, then turn off his phone and walk off.

Clark and I had quickly dressed, when Grant started pounding on the door.
"Let me in!"
Clark and I looked at each other. He went and answered the door, taking in a deep breath, before opening it. Grant was standing there, obviously upset. He saw me, but turned to Clark and grabbed him.
"I knew something was going on, because last right it all clicked. I didn't know if I could trust my instinct, so I followed you here. Imagine my surprise, when I see my girlfriend drive up to he sidewalk."
I didn't say anything.
"Not only that, but what about Miranda?"
"There is no Miranda."
He let go of Clark and looked at his hands.
He wasn't wearing his ring.
"I've been divorced for four years."
Grant looked at Clark.
"Olivia is mine," Clark said.
Pause.
Grant looked at me.
"Sorry," I mouthed.
Grant turned away and ran his hand through his hair.
Long pause.
"Don't be sorry. I'm the one that's sorry," Grant said, then walked off, and out of the door.
Clark turned and looked at me.
I didn't say or do anything.
Clark closed the door, then walked back over to me.
I looked at him and handed back his wedding band. He smiled at me, then turned away and walked over to the bathroom.
Clark looked at me and motioned me over.
I stepped into the bathroom and stood in the doorway. He flipped up the toilet seat, then turned to me and grabbed me, so I was standing next to him. He kissed the ring, tossed it in the bowl, then flushed the toilet. We watched it disappear. He dropped the seat back, then he licked his mouth and started kissing me.

No comments: